Lankershim Reading Room Timeline
1880 - Real estate boom in the Valley begins. Isaac Van Nuys marries Isaac Lankershim's daughter.
1881 - Issac Lankershim dies.
1887 - Col. J.B. (James Boon) Lankershim sells off 12,000 acres of the Lankershim Ranch to create the Valley's first subdivision.
1888 - Col. J.B. Lankershim establishes the townsite of Toluca; name later changed to Lankershim.
1923 - Lankershim Boulevard becomes the first paved road in the San Fernando Valley.
1927 - Local merchants rename Lankershim to North Hollywood to capitalize on the popularity of "Hollywood."
1931- Col. J.B. Lankershim dies; monument to him erected at top of Nichols Canyon overlooking the San Fernando Valley.
1950 - Harvey Grey Trembley buys the reading room and half of the ranch house and moves them to Canoga Park for part of his residence.
1957 - Trembley sells the 8-acre property to Chapel in the Canyon church. Lankershim Reading Room undergoes structural changes over time.
2001 - Jim Gulbranson, Vice President of the San Fernando Valley Historical Society, saves the Lankershim Reading Room from a bulldozer. The Society moves structure to Andres Pico Adobe Park in Mission Hills from Chatsworth and begins restoration.
2010 - Restoration is completed and the Lankershim Reading Room is dedicated as Los Angeles Cultural-Heritage Landmark #978.
2011 - Special exhibit of the Van Nuys Collection is held in conjunction with Lankershim artifacts. The building also serves as "Santa's Workshop" during the Las Posadas pageant in December.
2012 to present - Lankershim Reading Room continues to be open for visitors according to the Adobe's operating calendar.